New Job Opportunity at ABSA Bank Limited Tanzania – Portfolio Manager
We are a diversified standalone African financial services group, delivering an integrated set of products and services across personal and business banking, corporate and investment banking, wealth, investment management and insurance.
Absa Group Limited is listed on the JSE and is one of Africa’s largest diversified financial services groups with a presence in 12 countries across the continent and around 41 000 employees.Absa Group Limited is listed on the JSE and is one of Africa’s largest diversified financial services groups with a presence in 12 countries across the continent and around 41 000 employees.
We own majority stakes in banks in Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, the Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania (ABSA Bank in Tanzania and National Bank of Commerce), Uganda and Zambia. We also have representative offices in Namibia and Nigeria, as well as insurance operations in Botswana, Kenya, Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia.
Position: Portfolio Manager
Location: Absa House – ABT
Bring your possibility to life! Define your career with us
With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
Responsibility for the management of the portfolio(s) across the Credit Life Cycle in aggregate, which comprises of the following:
• Product Planning
• Credit Initiation
• Account Maintenance
• Fraud Management
• Collections & Recoveries
• Responsible for developing and adhering to business mandate and scale triggers for all products
• Setting of product risk appetite and strategies
• Policy formulation / circulars – owner of the portfolio Risk policies and Procedures and Manuals
• Provide input into developing and review of Portfolio modelling
• Analysis of management Information with appropriate recommendations to the Head of Credit
• Liaison with product/business managers and owners
Initiate, agree and monitor Collection and Recoveries strategies
• Accountability for all Credit scorecard design, implementation and review Input into Junior Consumer Credit Risk staff Performance development
Agree and be responsible for all change initiatives in portfolio
Credit Risk Management Time Split: 30-40%
- Assess a customer’s business through the analysis of Business and Credit risks associated with the provision of the bank’s products and services to the customer.
- Develop high quality credit solutions with the view of obtaining fast credit approval from Credit teams.
- Act as the joint contact for credit management purposes for accountants, solicitors and other professionals.
- Manage the portfolio within agreed risk appetite.
- Formulate strategies that drives growth while maintaining an acceptable level of risk to achieve agreed performance targets
- Develop a strong Risk/COO/Consumer Business partnerships
- Develop a highly motivated team of portfolio analysts maintaining excellent relationships within own team and wider business to ensure achievement of business goals.
- Consider the training and development needs of the team and support the development and implementation of solutions.
- Ensure effective performance development and succession planning for the team.
Risk and Controls Objectives
Manage risk and control effectively by applying applicable risk frameworks and embedding a positive risk culture
- Understanding of own role in the end-to-end processes in which you play a part, including applicable risks and controls.
- Adhere to Barclay’s policies and procedures applicable to own role, demonstrating sound judgement and responsible risk management.
- Report all risk events / incidents / issues using the defined process for your business area and help to understand why these happened and how to prevent them in future. Proactively look for ways to improve the control environment by considering what could go wrong in the processes you operate and how errors could be prevented.
- All mandatory training completed to deadline
Technical skills / Competencies
- Strong intellect balanced by practical and pragmatic approach
- Strong internal and external networking
- Risk Management
- Business Management
- People management and coaching
- Communications (written and oral) and presentations
- Effective negotiation and influencing
- Strong Lending skills
- Basic operations knowledge
- Strong product management, selling and negotiation skills
- Excellent communication skills enabling communication with people at all levels
- Ability to execute analytical and data driven decisions
- Ability to create and identify innovative solutions
Essential and preferred Experience
Experience, qualifications and other requirements specific to the role What does the role holder need to know/know about and/or be qualified in?
- Degree or equivalent business experience, desirable Preferred
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. MBA)Mathematical or financial qualification
Skills & Competencies
- What does the role holder need to be able to do/be well at doing?
- Highly competent in analysis and numeracy
- Comprehensive technical credit skill
- General commercial/industry awareness
- Working knowledge of risk management policies, procedures & pricing
- Working knowledge of Group policies and strategies relative to the credit function
- Product knowledge
- Detailed understanding / fit of the vision for Risk
- Detailed understanding of the Bank’s policies on Employment/Redeployment, Equal
- Opportunities and Health & Safety
- Working knowledge of local country structure and strategy
- Leadership and performance development of a team
- Managing risk and reward Preferred
- Risk Management Background
Absa Values and Behaviors represent the set of standards which governs the actions of all of us who work for the bank and against which the performance of every one of us in Absa are being assessed and rewarded:
- I drive high performance to achieve sustainable results
- I’m obsessed with customer
- I have an African heartbeat
- I believe our people are our strengths
Agreed by Current Job Holder
Agreed by Line Manager
Co-signed by HR Manager
- Higher Diplomas: Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)